Along with it being National Fresh Fruits & Vegetables, Tuesday June 16th is “Fresh Veggies Day” and Wednesday, June 17th is “Eat Your Vegetables Day” so we wanted to highlight the different places your can find a great selection of different fruits and vegetables within the greater New Orleans area and a little outside of the metro area. From you pick places, street farms stands, mobile farm stands, to farmers markets and our local grocery stores, there’s an abundance of places you can head to to find the freshest fruits and veggies around which will even help you support the #EatLocalNOLA challenge this month too.
Local UPick Places & Roadside Stands
Within about an hour’s drive from the Greater New Orleans area are a number of great u-pick farm and road side stands. We’ve collected a listing from the surrounding parishes around Orleans parish, such as St. Tammany, St. John the Bapist, St. Bernard, Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Charles and Tangipahoa parishes.
- Ridemore Ranch and Berry Farm: Open: Saturdays and Tuesdays 8:00 am until 6:00 pm. — 22154 John T Prats Rd, Covington, LA 70435
- Ernie and Lynda’s Homegrown Produce Farm: Open: Call for hours Phone: 985-517-1690 — 19354 Rolling Pines Drive, Amite, LA 70422.
- Liuzza Produce Farm, Inc: Open: to Public Saturday and Sunday — 56457 Holden Circle, Amite, LA 70422
- Hunnington Farms: 79093 Doug Jarrell Rd, Covington , LA 70435
- Berry Hill Farm — 21136 Highway 40, Loranger, LA 70446
- Loblolly Ridge Farm: Open: mid May thru June 30, Tuesday – Sunday, 7am-7pm. — 18010 Highway 1061, Amite, LA 70422
- Blue Harvest Farms –78495 HWY 21, Bush, LA 70431
- Sunhillow Berry Farm — 33510 Magee-Mahner Road, Pearl River, LA 70452
- Nature’s Magic: Open: Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays year – round — 12563 River Road, Luling, LA 70070
NOLA Farmers Markets
In the greater NOLA area both east and west banks and across the Causeway there is an awesome collection of different farmer’s markets where you can find a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and even seafood.
- Hollygrove Market and Farm: Tues – Thurs 12pm-7pm (opening 7 days a week beginning June 1st), Saturdays & Sundays 10-4pm — 8301 Olive St., New Orleans
- Crescent City Farmers Market: Tuesdays Hours: 9am-1pm — 200 Broadway, New Orleans
- Covington Farmers Market: Wednesdays Hours: 10am-2pm — 419 N. New Hampshire, Covington
- German Coast Farmers Market: Wednesdays Hours: 3pm-6:30 pm, Saturday Hours: 8am-12pm — 12715 Hwy 90, Luling
- Crescent City Farmers Market: Thursdays Hours: 3pm-7pm — 3700 Orleans Ave., New Orleans
- Marketplace at Armstrong Park: Friday Hours: 2pm-5pm — Corner Rampart and Basin, New Orleans
- Camellia City Farmers Market: Saturday Hours: 8am-1pm — 333 Erlanger St., Slidell
- Covington Farmers Market: Saturday Hours: 8am-12pm — 609 N. Columbia St., Covington
- Gretna Farmers Market: Saturday Hours: 8:30am-12:30pm — 300 Block Huey P. Long, Gretna
- Crescent City Farmers Market: Saturday Hours: 8am-12pm — 700 Magazine St., New Orleans
- Sankofa Farmers Market: Saturday Hours: 10am-2pm — 5500 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans
- Old Algiers Harvest Fresh Market: Saturday Hours: 9am-2pm — 922 Teche Street, New Orleans
- Vietnamese Farmers Market: Saturday Hours: 6am-9am — 14401 Alcee Fortier Blvd, New Orleans
- Rivertown Farmer’s Market: 1st & 3rd Saturday of month, 8am-12pm — Heritage Park (where Williams Blvd. meets the river), Kenner, La
- Westwego Farmers and Fisheries Market: 8:30am – 12:30pm — Sala Ave. at Fourth Street, Westwego
- Magnolia Farmer Co-Op & Market Place: Open daily, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. — Corner of Jackson and Simon Bolivar Avenues
- Westwego Seafood Market: Daily (More vendors on weekend) — 100 Westbank Expressway
Street Side & Mobile Produce Stands in New Orleans
You’ve probably seen, or in the case of the roving produce stands, heard, the produce stands in NOLA. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of definitive information on where they show up and when, the best bet is to stop when you see them as they have a different produce depending upon the time of year and availability. The French Market itself has number of produce vendors within it that are open daily.
- Mr. Okra – Roving Mobile Fruits & Vegetables (He’s got bananas! He’s got okra!)
- Produce Stand in front of Notre Dame Seminary — 2901 S Carrollton Ave, New Orleans, LA
- Produce Stand in front of Jesuit High School — 4500 Block of s. Carrollton Ave., New Orleans, LA
- French Market — 1235 N Peters St, New Orleans, LA 70116